History of the California Flower Mall

1909:

The California Flower Mall building starts life as part of Los Angeles’ booming textile industry.

1930 – 1945:

The CFM building was one of the first UPS facilities in L.A., housing the delivery truck fleet. Many streets in Downtown L.A. were still dirt paved.

1945 – 1994:

The CFM building is home to the American Sample Company. The manufacturing plant founded, owned and operated by Henry Chatoff, produced fabric sample books for the textile industry.

1995-2007:

The CFM building evolves to become a Textile Wholesale Center serving fashion manufacturers in greater Los Angeles.

Owner, Mark Chatoff sees Los Angeles’ Flower District rapidly expanding beyond the historic Wall Street boundaries. After extensive due diligence he converts the property to a premier flower market.

2008:

The California Flower Mall opens its doors at 825 San Pedro Street. Floral showrooms each with sophisticated refrigerated flower storage rooms, quickly reach 100% occupancy.

The free admission “Flower Factory” of flower vendors serving the wholesale floral trade and the DIY public is bursting with lush tropicals from South America, tulips from Holland, cymbidiums from New Zealand and other varieties from around the world.

2009:

CFM opens the 824 San Julian Street side of the building to meet demand from flower brokers and importers.

The free admission “Flower Factory” of flower vendors serving the wholesale floral trade and the DIY public is bursting with lush tropicals from South America, tulips from Holland, cymbidiums from New Zealand and other varieties from around the world.

CFM amenities include:  QQ Café restaurant with patio dining, onsite parking, a 5000sf orchid, green plant, cactus and succulent nursery, public restrooms, an ATM and many friendly resident cats to pet.